Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hot Vanilla


For almost two weeks, I've done nothing to update this blog.  First of all, I've been pretty sick with bad cold, which could further be aggravated by hay fever too.  It's hard to know which one was first happened, but I felt ugh all week long.  Even today I still had some cough that doesn't want to go away.  Secondly, last weekend I went up north to Seattle with my family to attend my husband's surprise party.  This friend turned big five-oh this year, we weren't so sure whether we could make it this week, but thankfully we did find time to go.  It was a fun weekend for us, most of the activities involved eating, talking, and more eating :)  I had some shopping done on the last day too, so I was pretty happy.



The cookies that accompanied the hot vanilla were quite good too that I'm going to post it possibly tomorrow.

Though I felt pretty awful, I managed to make something that's I could write about here.  Even if they're only hot beverage and a batch of cookies.  I had a homework that needed to be done for my online photography club that involved hot drinks, so the timing was not too bad.  I needed one or two hot drinks anyway.  My first thought was to look for coffee-type drink, but I soon looked for something simpler.  I chose to do Hot Vanilla, which was essentially hot milk and sugar, topped with whipped cream mixed with chocolate syrup and cinnamon powder.  Weather in Oregon was a chaos, cold in one week, and mild in another, it's hard to know what would come each day.  When I made this drink, the weather wasn't too terrible, in fact the sun came out for a few days and on the weekend too.  Drinking hot milk with whipped cream mixture was a luxurious sip that didn't involve over inflated budget, I'm sure I could afford this every week if I wanted to.

Hot Vanilla


Serves 6



1/2 cup whipping cream

1 tablespoon chocolate syrup

Dash of cinnamon

1 cup milk (per hot vanilla)

2 teaspoon sugar (per hot vanilla)

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (per hot vanilla)



Start with the topping:  In a medium bowl, whip 1/2 cup of whipping cream until  it is frothy.  Add 1 tablespoon of chocolate syrup and a dash of cinnamon; then continue to whip the mixture until everything is well blended and peaks form.  Makes enough to top about 6 drinks.

For each hot vanilla, microwave 1 cup of milk and 2 teaspoon of sugar in a mug for 90 seconds.  Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.  Top with a dollop of chocolate cream, a drizzle of chocolate syrup, and a dash of cinnamon.



Source:  Family Fun magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment