Saturday, March 6, 2010

Oatmeal Butterscotch Pies


How do you choose what to make for desserts?  For me, my inspiration is in my freezer, fridge, and pantry.  I have a tendency to stockpile any things related to baking--yeah, it's a bad habit.  And consequently from time to time I lost track of what I save in the freezer, fridge, and pantry.  Then I really do have to jolt down what I save in the freezer because sometimes I have to throw away things that's been there too long.  But, fortunately this time was not the case for my pie crusts.  I have saved three small-sized crusts from making pies back in October.  For a while I've reminded myself to use those crusts quickly before they'd spoil.  I finally had the time make these individual pies at the end of February.  Yes, these are from last month because I've only the time to post about it now.

The other factor that made up these pies were what I had on my pantry.  I saw butterscotch baking chips, lots of them, and I had the urge to use them; and there's oatmeal--the staple of breakfast item.  I tried to find out what would be best paired with those chips and oatmeal. So  I opened my fridge and saw half a bag of shredded coconut.    Quickly, I browsed my baking book collection and yes, I found a recipe that used all those items.  The final result was these oatmeal butterscotch pies.  If you like oatmeal butterscotch cookies, you've got to make these pies.  These were like giant chewy cookies but with the added crunch of the pie crusts.  That's just even better version.

I made mine on tart pans because of the size of the crusts, and the filling seeped through because of that--but don't worry about that--you could make it on the regular 9-inch pie pan and the recipe belows would be for that size pan.  But if you want to make it into a small pie using 4-inch tart pans like mine, divide the pastry crust into 6 equal pieces.  When it's firm enough to be roll, roll each piece into a circle slightly larger than the diameter of the tart pans.  Tuck the pastry into pan without stretching and press on the crust gently against the sides of pan.  Put them in the freezer for 15 minutes and then proceed with the rest of the recipes, just divide the filling for 6 pie shells.  Just before baking, place a baking sheet under the tart pans to catch drippings.  Bake about 25 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 350 degree F, then bake again about 20-25 minutes or until the center of pie doesn't jiggle much and the crust is dark brown.

Try pairing this with not so sweet whipped cream because the pie itself is already sweet enough.  I like mine with lots of cream, before I know it I eat one whole small pie :)

Oatmeal Butterscotch Pies


Makes one 9-inch pie



1 recipe pie pastry, single crust, your own recipe or use mine here

Filling:

2 large eggs

2/3 cup sugar

3/4 cup dark corn syrup--use light corn syrup is fine if you only have that available

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted

3/4 cup rolled oats--old fashioned or quick cooking, not instant

1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 cup butterscotch chips

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Prepare the pastry and refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 1 hour.

On a floured surface, roll the pastry into a 12-inch circle with a floured rolling pin.  Invert the pastry over a 9-inch standard pie pan, tuck the pastry into the pan, without stretching it, and sculpt the edge into an upstanding ridge.  Place it in the freezer for 15 minutes.  Preheat the oven to 375 degree F.

Combine the eggs, sugar, corn syrup, and butter in a large bowl.  Using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed until well blended, about 30 seconds.  Stir in the oats, coconut, flour, butterscotch chips, nuts, and vanilla.  Pour the filling into the chilled pie shell.

Place the pie on the center oven rack and bake for 30 minutes.  Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degree F and rotate the pie 180 degrees.  Bake until the center is set, 25 to 30 minutes.  When done, the top of the pie will be dark golden brown and crusty.  Give the pie a sharp little nudge.  The filling shouldn't move in waves.

Transfer the pie to a wire rack and let cool.  Serve just barely warm or at room temperature.



Source:  adapted from Pie by Ken Haedrich

2 comments:

  1. Hey Eliza, Stunning new home, love it love it love it !
    I'm also currently working on my new home, hope it looks half as good :)
    Love the pie and what beautiful serving plates. Drooling ... !

    aww thanks Kajal, you're so sweet! I love it here, wish I did this a long time ago! I can't wait to see your new home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hai Liz..., pindahan rumah yah? Rumah yg indah. Salut, dikau emang rajin ya :). Langsung resep oatmeal tertangkap mata gw. Haha, lagi seru dengan whole wheat n oats, nih, gw :).

    iya, baru thn ini koq. itu resep oatmeal kan di pie, blm tentu oatmeal yg sehat :D jgn bosen mampir ya!

    ReplyDelete